Sunday 10 October 2010

Further developments: Fire and Brimstone!

I haven't done any stitching so far today. But have continued to develop my ideas for future cloths projects.

I can't remember if I ever told you about the site Colorlovers ? Well, for anyone who's looking for a color testing ground, this is for you! I've been a member since August 2009. You'll find me here under the alias as Ohsafaraway. So far, I've created 295 palettes, 428 patterns, and 212 colors. Just for fun! It's fairly self-explainatory. That's to say, if I can figure out how to use it, so can you! Basically, you can invent color palettes, either off the top of your head or by attaching an inspiration image and working from that. There is a pattern section which lets you play around with palette variations [although, having been away from the site for several months, now I return I find I don't so much like the patterns they have available]. The great thing about this site is that it lets you watch who is loving what you do, and you can watch what other members are up to as well.

Yep, that's where those professional looking palette graphics come from, like the one that appears below.

But before we get to that... this morning I've been working on this.

















A start to my "Dahlia" theme board. I have a long way to go with it yet! But this is helping me to feel my way towards what it is that I would like to do next. And ok,Jude and Deb,you were right... looks like there will be more exuberance than I had first anticipated!

The threads that appear on my theme board come from ARTFABRIK by Laura Wasilowski, who I mentioned here. I am planning to buy these beautiful threads to work with. Somehow!













This is a basic palette based on the "Dahlia" theme board, which I've called "Fire and Petals".

My birthstone is the Garnet, and this is my all time favorite color. Dark, fiery garnet, like the color you'd see starring into a full glass of blackberry wine, or like my favorite rose Josephine Bruce produced by the "King o' Roses", David Austin. To me, the epitomy of elegance would be a garnet colored shot taffetta dress in Victorian style. But I somehow don't think it would work with my construction boots ;)

Yes, I am a closet romantic. I feel a deep connection with things which are old worldy. As far back as I can remember, I have thought that I was born into the complete wrong century! So, now it's time to make up for it :)

What's your all time favorite color?













Mara: A pattern based on my "Fire and Petals" palette. That would make cool fabric!

4 comments:

neki desu said...

you're kidding! i'm hanabi!

Anonymous said...

Well, I always thought I didn't belong in this time either... maybe a couple of hundred years too late. I'll enjoy watching the development of this work.
My all time favourite colour changes all the time :-)

nandas said...

my favorite color? wow.. thats hard but after reflecting i would say a rusty burnt orange... maybe the brimstone with your fire. i have a long list of favorite colors and i may be influenced by the season here.
thanks for coming by my blog.. niceto see you there! i'm in jude's class now so i haven't posted much lately...

Unknown said...

It never sops to amaze me how much effort, work and knowledge goes into creating something beautiful. It is always a labore of love at the end and the final result will always reflect the amount of effort put into it. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails