Monday 14 December 2009

2010: Inspiration #1- Fungii

For as long as I can remember, I have been fascinated with fungii. All of the strange forms which these amazing living beings take on. To me they epitomize the organic. I am also fascinated by the process of decomposition, and, in the past, that has been a reoccurring theme in my (painted) art.

Yesterday , I stepped into our small forest reserve. The trail dotted with sunspots in the noon sun.



















This is what I found...















A rotting trunk on the edge of the main path covered in pale white/russet/rose pink fungii...















makes me think of shells clinging to some ancient wreckage... I love the pattern that they make.. a sort of spiralling...















Ruffled and scalloped plataeus or thunder clouds... like the traditional Javanese Megamendung fabric motifs, some lovely examples of which you can see here and here by a great company called EXOT who specialize in exotic treasures.















... like dis-orientated petals. And I have decided to make fungii one of my main subjects to explore in 2010. In cloth and on paper.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails